Tom Hanks is not happy about his hometown Oakland Raiders relocating to Las Vegas and said he’s going on a “moratorium” for two years after the team leaves the Bay Area.
The A-list actor ripped the decision to leave Oakland during a fundraiser for local nonprofits in San Francisco.
“When the Raiders leave, I am going on an NFL moratorium for two years,” Hanks said via the San Francisco Chronicle. “You cannot take the Silver and Black, put them in an air-conditioned dome in the desert, make them play on artificial turf within a stone’s throw of the fountains of Caesar’s Palace, and call them the Raiders.”
The NFL approved the Raiders’ plan to move last month. A $1.9 billion stadium is slated to be built for the team with the help of $750 million in public money.
“Here’s the thing I don’t quite understand,” Hanks said. “And I’m not trying to — this isn’t one of the (many) causes I’m fighting for. I’m just thinking as a fan: It’s a billion-dollar industry, they have billion-dollar TV contracts. All the owners are billionaires. And yet when they want to build a stadium they’re going to use for 10 weeks out of the year, they expect the city taxpayers to buy the building.”
Hanks sees one positive in the Raiders’ exit to Las Vegas.
“The only good thing that is going to come out of the Oakland Raiders leaving — and there is nothing good that will come out of that, by the way — is that the Oakland A’s might get their own ballpark,” he said.
Hanks has been a dedicated fan of the team for years. When former quarterback Ken Stabler died in 2015, Hanks sent an emotional letter to the legend’s daughters.
— Kendra Stabler Moyes (@KendraSMoyes) December 28, 2015