Seattle Seahawks

Report: Seahawks asking for first-round, mid-round pick for CB Richard Sherman

(Kim Klement/USA TODAY Sports)

Any teams interested in acquiring Seattle Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman better be prepared to pay a hefty price for him.

According to NFL Network’s Mike Garafolo, it will take a first-round draft pick and another mid-round pick to get Sherman out of Seattle.

“We’re talking Darrelle Revis Jets-to-Buccaneers type of deal,” Garafolo said during an appearance on NFL Network’s ‘Good Morning Football’ on Tuesday. “That’s what’s going to get this thing done.”

Prior to the 2013 NFL draft, the Jets traded Revis to Tampa Bay in exchange for the No. 13 overall selection and a conditional 2014 fourth-round pick.

Garafolo added no team has come close to offering the right package for Sherman.

The Sherman trade rumors have been stirring for several week now, and last week Seahawks general manager John Schneider confirmed that the team had been talking to teams about acquiring the cornerback.

“What you’ve seen lately in the news is real,” Schneider said on the “Brock and Salk” show on 710 ESPN Seattle. “That’s on both sides. It’s just open communication. He knows what’s going on. We know what’s going on.

“I don’t know if anything would ever happen. But like I tell people all the time, 98 percent of the things we’re involved with, we don’t follow through with. But at least we’ve opened that door, gone down the road and seen what’s behind door A or door B.”

Schneider said the Seahawks began talking to teams about acquiring Sherman at the combine in Indianapolis last month, adding that he’s been open and honest with Sherman about the situation.

“This isn’t a secret like it just came out of nowhere,” Schneider said. “People find things out, and we’re not going to lie to each other. We’re not going to BS each other. It’s going to be all laid out.”

According to ESPN NFL Insider Adams Schefter, Sherman initiated the trade talks, and the Seahawks simply went with it.

“It has been my understanding all along that Richard Sherman was the one who initiated this,” Schefter said during an appearance on SportsCenter. “He was the one that wanted to be traded initially. The Seahawks were obliging him and his request.”

Sherman, 29, had two sideline blowups last season that were directed at coaches. The first involved defensive coordinator Kris Richard after the defense gave up a big play in Week 6 against the Atlanta Falcons.

In Week 15, when the Seahawks attempted a pass play from the Los Angeles Rams’ 1-yard line, Sherman went off on Carroll and offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell. Afterward, Sherman did not back down, referencing the team’s Super Bowl XLIX loss in which Russell Wilson was intercepted in a similar situation.

Sherman has two years remaining on his contract. He is due $11.431 million guaranteed in 2017 and $11 million in 2018. Sherman has never missed a game in his six-year NFL career and has made the Pro Bowl four seasons in a row.

Leave a Comment

The Latest

To Top